RSSB supports the rail industry to deliver a better, safer railway. We manage a research programme; collect, collate and analyse data; and develop standards for the railway across Great Britain. We deliver standards, information and guidance for all aspects of railway operations, as well as health and wellbeing, sustainability, infrastructure and rolling stock asset integrity, customer satisfaction, performance, and safety. Through our Affiliation programme we also make some of that information and guidance available to overseas organisations and other industries.
RSSB is seeking a dedicated and motivated Lead Systems Safety Engineer with a background in safety and risk. You will join our System, Safety and Health Directorate, providing specialist technical expertise to the industry on safety and risk management issues, and supporting their safety assurance activities
- Provide competent specialist advice to support RSSB’s activities in setting safety strategy, system modelling, requirements management & development of standards (e.g. EU Regulations and Standards, domestic legislation, Railway Group Standards).
- Support industry safety assurance activities, including identifying hazards, assessing safety risk, and running workshops.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of risk assessment and risk management issues, within and outside the rail industry, through continuing professional development
- Communicate relevant information on risk issues to those who need to know (e.g. managers, project leaders, health, safety and environment engineers and colleagues)
- Analyse railway system safety risk and assisting in communicating and promoting the understanding of the risk profile and the major risk contributors to the industry.
- Review and advise on risk assessments and risk assessment methodologies developed by the industry.
- Promote good risk management practice both within RSSB and across the wider industry.
- Write high quality reports, guidance and tools to inform internal and external stakeholder activity.
- Degree in mathematics, science, engineering or related discipline or equivalent experience.
- Working knowledge of risk assessment and risk management techniques.
- Awareness of safety assessment techniques e.g. HAZOP, FMECA, FTA.
- Effective communication skills with in conveying complex issues to non-technical users at all levels
- Ability to work collaboratively, and influence at all levels.
- Experience of applying analytical thinking and problem-solving with an ability to quickly understand complex information.
- Able to build working relationships with multiple stakeholders both within RSSB and externally.
- Interpersonal and team working skills.
- Experience of working in the rail industry
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and standards e.g. CSMs, EN 50126/8/9
Early applications are encouraged, as we may close this vacancy before the advertised deadline if sufficient numbers of applications are received.
We value our staff and we offer a competitive benefits package to ensure our staff can achieve their best throughout their journey with us. This includes 30 days annual leave (plus bank holidays); a holiday buy and sell scheme; private medical and dental cover; a season ticket loan and travel subsidy; access to a cycle to work scheme; volunteer leave; a performance related bonus and pension.