As part of the senior leadership team you will direct, manage and monitor all aspects of health and safety and environment issues, ensuring on-going compliance with external regulatory requirements and company policies and procedures.
- Advise and guide management on new and existing health safety and environmental (HSE) developments to ensure compliance with all regulatory and company standards.
- Co-ordinate, support and assist management with all accident investigations, risk assessments and near miss investigations
- Complete and maintain all higher risk level risk assessments and safe systems to include fire risk assessment, confined spaces, working at height, transport, manual handling, slips trips falls etc
- Record, produce and review all statistics relating to near miss and actual accidents in order to effectively manage accident claims and implement improvements to safety standards
- Responsible for conducting HSE inductions to all new starters and contractors on site and managing contractors on a daily basis through verifying contractor’s risk assessment, method statement and issuing permits to work
- Effectively report all injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences to the HSE in accordance with RIDDOR regulations and company’s insurance company
- Regularly auditing and recording of departmental safety inspections
- Responsible for ensuring all safety checks are carried out with regards to the provision and the use of work equipment regulations (PUWER) and the lifting operations and lifting equipment regulations (LOLER). Update register and notify the company’s insurance company
- Liaison with Suffolk fire service to ensure that all fire safety precautions and appliances are in place and adequately controlled to prevent out breaks of fire. Liaise with fire officer regarding maintenance of fire notices, inspections and evacuations
- Build, develop and maintain effective working relationships across the business and with external parties
- Responsible for ensuring the company meets the conditions and schedules of the integrated pollution prevention and control permit (IPPC) by monitoring and updating the environmental action log
- Liaison with the Environment agency and SIRA for M certs scheme
- Assess health and safety training needs across the site and work together with HR and production training to ensure training standards meet legal requirements
- Train and manage the H&S and fire representatives
- Manage the health and safety budget
Skills, qualifications and experience:
- Health and safety background in food manufacturing
- Thorough knowledge of health and safety regulations and legislation
- Professional diploma in safety, health and environmental management or equivalent
- Ability to work in an environment of constantly changing demands
- Working within a financial budget
- Advanced food hygiene certificate - desirable
- HACCP Course - desirable
- Train the trainer - desirable
- MSC health and environmental - desirable
- Competitive salary
- 33 days holiday per year (incl public hols)
- Competitive contributory pension
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
Proactive health and safety is a prerequisite to employment at Karro Foods. All roles have a responsibility to demonstrate commitment to the companies’ health and safety goals, and as such it forms an essential component of all job descriptions, at all levels.
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
NB: NEW JOB APPLICATION LINK ADDED 5th October 2020